Cushion, pad, lining, or underlay are all synonymous terms used to describe any type of material that is placed under the carpet. A carpet pad adds comfort, absorbs shock, reduces noise, increases insulation, and improves the performance of a carpet.
Padding is one of the most important investments that will be made at the time of a carpet purchase.
Types of Rug Pads
- STARK Hold - 0.345" Thick Polyester, Polypropylene & Nylon Fiber - Premium combination of plush feel and grip. Great for added cushioning with an SBR backing to prevent sliding.
- Hold Tight - 0.125" Thick High Density Polyurethane Foam - Durable pad that will anchor the rug and prevent slippage.
- Tee Baud - 0.125" Thick Polyester Fiber with Pressure Sensitive Coating that provides a strong grip between the rug and floor. Best for high traffic areas, small rugs, and runners.
- Non-Skid - 0.151" Thick Woven Polyester with Poly-Vinyl Coating - Classic rug pad, perfect for adding grip without adding height.
- Indoor/Outdoor - 0.151" Thick Woven Polyester with High Grade Vinyl Compound Coating - Designed for outdoor use (Patios, Porches, etc.) with an antimicrobial coating to deter mold.
Why a pad?
- It’ll make the rug more comfortable. Regardless of how thick your rug is, there’s a hard floor beneath it. A rug pad will provide additional loft and comfort.
- It’ll make your rug last longer. Try and visualize the rug fibers as they’re caught between your foot and the hard floor. There’s nothing to prevent them from being crushed, right? A rug pad will provide cushioning so the fibers can flex and take less damage.
- It’ll make things safer. While more of a hazard with smaller rugs, any rug has the potential to shift and slip out from under you, especially on a polished surface. A rug pad will keep your rug in place and therefore you too!
- It’ll help level an uneven floor. If there is considerable space in between your floorboards, or if you have a slate floor, a rug pad underneath your rug can help smooth out the inconsistencies of the floor surface that might manifest themselves should you use just the rug itself.
- It’ll provide insulation and sound proofing. Rug pads provide additional insulation between floors, as well as added sound-proofing.
- It’ll keep things cleaner. With a pad to keep your rug from shifting you’ll be able to vacuum it more effectively, meaning a cleaner carpet and a cleaner home.
- It’ll protect your floors. A rug pad can help prevent damage such as discoloration from dye transfer, marring, and scratches, plus staining from liquids that get spilled on the rug.
- It’ll prevent buckling and wrinkling. Rugs are likely to buckle and wrinkle, which is unsightly and a potential trip hazard. A rug pad will alleviate this issue.